Wednesday 14 April 2010

Nuclear Energy to be used in Malaysia?

Last week, my physic lecturer told that he will be out station this week for 'some work'. So we don't have any physic class this week. Then one of my friend asked him what is it the work that he has to do. He calmly answered that he is going to collect URANIUM at kelantan i guess (not so sure either kelantan o perak).

Talk about uranium made me remember of what my friend has told me before that his father (who works in TNB) went to Korea last year (ye kot) for research of nuclear reactor. My friend said that sooner or later, Malaysia will have its own nuclear reactor for energy purpose.
Whoaahh... I am myself couldn't believe it. That is one drastic improvement. But then it made me to think much further. What will the people say? What is the implication of bringing the technology to this country? Would there be any protest? I bet there will be.

But my physic lecturer has told us during the lecture that nuclear reactor is very safe. The only problem that could occur is the technical problem where the technician does not check the pressure or whatsoever. And one think that could be the main point to object it is about the waste product. The government should find a secure place to store the Krypton(waste product).

Actually we do have one nuclear reactor here in Malaysia that is in UKM Bangi. The reactor is not used to produce power but just for research. To me, it is beneficial to our country because it can cut down the burning of fossil to generate electricity because 1kg of uranium-235 can theoretically produce 80 trillion joules of energy. That is equivalent to energy produced from 3000 tonnes of coal.

I think the Malaysian should think much further about it. It is okay as long as we stick to the plan to use it for energy production only. Not for other purposes like what Iran did. Just imagine how much we could save.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails